The university library is the information center of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. Through its collections the library supports research, teaching and studies and cultivates information literacy. The library’s stock of media includes over 200.000 books as well as hand drawings, copper engravings, photographs and magazines.
First mentioned in records in 1692, the Academy of Fine Arts is the oldest art college in Middle Europe. The library, however, is not documented prior to 1773 and the draft of the articles of the k.k. Akademie der vereinigten Bildenden Künste. Until the Graphic Collection was made an independent administrative unit in 2003, the director of the library supervised its collections as well. The mission statement of the library and its staff is to preserve bibliophilic treasures of the past on the one hand, on the other hand to be a forward-looking service unit in our modern information society. Through its collections the library supports research, teaching and studies and cultivates information literacy. The library's stock of media includes: Books: 15.000 (1892), 26.000 (1917), 200.000 (2011); Hand drawings: 20.000 (1892), 26.000 (1917); Copper engravings: 63.000 (1892), 63.500 (1917); Photographs: 6.400 (1892), 13.400 (1917); Magazines: 130 (2011).