The EOD network is mainly dealing with public domain books, published between 1500 and 1900. Nevertheless, some partner libraries also allow digitisation of books beyond that timeframe, namely for special user groups, e.g. researchers or for people who are visually impaired or blind. Again each library is free to decide which books are made available. Basically, each library has to base its decisions upon their own local and national policy and regulations.
There is a yearly participation fee of 1000 EUR plus a usage fee of 23% which is intended to cover the central service facilities costs such as IT personnel, server maintenance and software licences.
The EOD network is a central service provider offering components for order management, customer relations, eBook creation, delivery of eBooks and accounting. The digitised works as a whole belong to your library.
In principle, just a scanner, an Internet connection and dedicated staff are required. Everything else - such as order management, customer communication, eBook production, delivery and electronic accounting - is provided by the EOD network.
- You will have the possibility to add an exciting new service to your portfolio and satisfy the needs of your users. All your books from 1500 to 1900 can be made available as eBooks on Demand through the EOD service.
- The digitised books will belong to you and you can integrate them into your digital library or repository. So, in addition to the eBook service, you may continually increase the number of your digital materials.
- The risk for implementing the service is low: the service already runs on more than 40 sites in 12 European countries. You will benefit from all the routines and solutions found within the EOD network.
- The EOD network serves as an advisory group for efficient and cost effective methods of digitisation as far as guidelines, standards and effective workflows are concerned.
- The EOD network provides you with flyers, leaflets, posters, handouts, instructions and other material which you can directly use for your purposes.